Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dazzling & other military facts

At one time in your life, I'd recommend going to the Canadian War Museum. The building itself is a cement, steel and glass creation that evokes tanks, war ships, and fighter plans all at the same time.

And, the information in the exhibits is fantastic. We, admittedly, raced through the museum (mostly chasing a certain boy), but what we did see was informative, moving, sickening, scary, horrible, fantastic...you name it.

It's really not a "kid" museum in the sense that we did have to speed them on through some of the exhibits due to either graphic content or loud noises (they'd recreated certain types of war conditions throughout). But, they did enjoy the camouflage exhibit, building decoy trucks out of blocks and learning how the military "dazzled" ships...think black and white diva war paint in the name of confusing the enemy.

The strangest thing, though, was Blake. He was in the exhibits not 5 minutes when he suddenly stopped and turned around in a circle yelling "fight, fight, fight" and punching the air with his fists. What the? I mean, this was in the bows and arrows section!

Faith thought the best exhibit was the WW III simulation. Just like that old movie, War Games, complete with the giant map of the world projected on a screen showing the world gradually being blown to bits. OK.

The icing on the cake for me though was the World Press Photo exhibit in the lobby. I sent the kids off with George so I could do a quick tour of the best photos in the world for 2008-2009. Amazing...untll I had to chase Blake across the whole lobby and hold my breath as he ran under the photo exhibits...hoping that he didn't knock the whole thing down like dominoes. I wore running shoes most of the time for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment