So I saw Sicko yesterday...sort of. I decided to try out the whole "movies for moms" thing at the Galaxy as I just had Blake yesterday. And, they were playing Sicko...even better! Unfortunately, Blake does not share my affinity for movies, or maybe it's just Michael Moore movies. Dear god...perhaps he's a conservative like his dad!
Anyway, I would definitely recommend this one. Although I did have to leave before the final few moments (too much crying...which mysteriously ended as soon as I got to the car and turned into happy smiles...like "Thank God...she's finally doing what I want now!"), Sicko is Michael Moore's least strident, and I think most effective, documentary to date. The stories are relentless and after watching it, I don't see how anyone in the free world could doubt that the US system of health insurance/healthcare is pretty much a complete and total disaster.
George got to hear a bit about the movie after I got home, and after about three stories of woe, he told me to stop as he couldn't take it anymore. I didn't even get to the really, really upsetting ones either.
Anyway, it all makes me glad that I live in Canada and don't have to pull out the cheque book whenever I head to the doctor. I'm happy to pay the taxes that come with universal health care.
So, two thumbs up from me for Sicko, and one sucked thumb from Blake.
Wednesday, July 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment