Monday, July 16, 2007

Blake's sixth month

To Blake:


I cannot believe that six months have already passed. We have gone from bundling you up for the daily trudge to school through the snow and wind, to letting you play around the house in nothing but a diaper to keep you from getting too hot during our summer weather.

The changes you've been through in the last month have been amazing. You are now eating solid foods...a lot of solid food actually. You went from one teaspoon of food your first day to 5 tablespoons morning and night the next week. Yikes! I'd give you more, but 5 tbls is the maximum serving size, and frankly, I don't want you to explode. You puke enough as it is. Cereal has been a good solid favorite, except for rice, and veggies have been even better. Although the amount of food that's going in is now coming out...a lot. And Faith has this strange fascination with looking at each diaper, although she's gotten over wanting to help change them. That didn't last too long.

In the last couple of weeks, you have found your voice. Basically, you are talking even more than you were before, which I would never have thought possible. And, your squeals, while delightful, can split my eardrums! Faith can really get you going, and can make you laugh like crazy. (Is there any better sound that a baby's laugh?)


Sitting up...you decided to accomplish this postural feet on July 12th, just under the deadline for your 6 month birthday. You're still a little wobbly, which means a few head bonks that drive your Dad batty as he thinks I'm letting you get a concussion. (I think you're made of tougher stuff though.) Faith likes to practice sitting up with you on our bed in the morning while she watches Arthur. It goes pretty well until you spit up a small portion of your breakfast, but she sits on your Dad's side of the bed, so I don't mind too much.


And, alas, you have recently become a thumb sucker (and a toe sucker too actually). I'm fairly ambivalent about this new development. It does mean that you have something to comfort you at night (although that hasn't seemed to stop you from waking up any less), but I can't take away your thumb when I want the habit to stop. Right now, it seems like you're sucking on something from the moment you wake up until you go back to sleep...and the eczema on your cheeks is there to prove it.


You are still waking up a couple of times a night, although have decided to sleep in until 7:00, which is somewhat helpful. I look forward to when I can actually get 8 straight hours of sleep. I don't think I can remember what that actually feels like. What I really don't understand is how your Dad cannot hear you at night. Is this genetic programming or something?

Another major change this month is that you are officially a backpack kid. You want to be entertained all the time, and you seem to find sitting in the backpack carrier as I make dinner, do the dishes, fold laundry, the most entertaining vantage point in the world. The first time I put you in the backpack, you started laughing...which was a relief as carrying you around on my hip was getting a little tiresome. (Did I mention I have an appointment with my physiotherapist on Tuesday night?)

And, I swear that you can save "Hi" now. Yes, I know this is typical parental bragging, but you seem to say it at the right times, or at least repeat the sound on cue. Either way, it's a very cute habit. I've been trying my darndest to get you to say Mama, but that hasn't worked yet. I'll keep at it though.

So, the sixth month has seen many changes...you're definitely not a newborn anymore and you are your own little person. An active, funny, charming little baby boy.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment