Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The future

My eyes are a little buggy from watching CNN the last couple of days...they even had holograms!?! What?

I flipped on the tv this morning to get the final election results and see some snippets of the Obama acceptance speech. This was out of the normal pattern for our mornings, which usually sees Faith laying on the couch eating breakfast and watching the Family Channel (the bane of our adult existence) while I make my lunch and eat some oatmeal.

So, when Faith asked to watch yet another episode of The Suite Life, I explained that I wanted to watch the news because it was historic.

"Why?"

"Well, they elected the president of the United States." [Onscreen is Obama.]

"So." (The Suite Life trumps politics.)

"Well, he's the first black president of the United States."

Pause.

"What's black?"

This is where I had to stop and realize that, holy crap, she really didn't know what this meant. At all. Wow. I almost cried. Then, I had to figure out how to explain it. Her response afterwards?

"Well, E. has darker skin than me, and she's my friend. It doesn't make any difference."

No comments:

Post a Comment