Friday, March 05, 2010

The curse of a talking 3 yr old

I had to hit the bank with the kids today, complete with a trip to a real live teller. This went pretty well even though Blake is nursing some sort of mild fever/coughing bug. He sat on the bank counter and asked repeatedly whether we could go home but there was no screaming or crying, so I counted this as a win.

However, when the nice bank teller leaned over to sign some paperwork for me, we got a nice look at his modest bald spot. Blake looked at him, then turned to me and said, "Mommy, he doesn't have enough hair." Then he said it again. And again. Thinking quickly, I pretended Blake said, "He doesn't have enough there." and told him, "Yes, he does have enough money for us." But, I'm pretty sure the cover-up was in vane. 

Blake talks...and talks, and talks. A lot. Loudly. To pretty much anyone. George would say this comes from my side of the family, but I'm pretty sure both of our gene pools contributed. Faith talked a lot too at this age, but just to us. In a store, she would whisper in my ear about someone's bald spot. Did I mention my children were opposites? (Which completely bites in the parenting department as almost everything I learned with Faith has to go out the window!)  

But, Blake does have a cute way of saying things that makes him sound 3 and 33 at the same time. When I ask him to come to dinner when he's watching Little Bear (his favourite show), he'll say, "Couple more minutes Mom." When he wants to say up later, he says, "Just a few more minutes", complete with a hand gesture and tilt of the head. And when I close his bedroom door at night, he always says, "Just a no Mommy", followed by some last ditch request to drag out his bedtime a couple more seconds. I thought "just a no" was his interpretation of "just a moment", but it turns out that it's a hybrid of our sitter's common phrase, "Just so you know". Apparently I didn't.

Of course, none of these tops his love of saying, "Holy craaaap!" Loudly. Repeatedly. I have only myself to blame for this one. We are ignoring this particular phrase in hopes that it will die a natural death. Here's hoping it's not replaced with something worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment