Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Stream of consciousness

Virginia Wolfe must have talked to a four-year old before she developed her stream of consciousness style. Wolfe has nothing on the meandering mind of a kid.

I put Faith to bed tonight and then 15 minutes later heard the "Moooooooom" chant coming from her room. (Nowadays, she has to yell really loud to get us to hear since she has decided that her door must be closed when she goes to bed.)

I went upstairs to have her tell me she is scared of the sounds. (We have a pretty good wind storm/rain storm going on outside.) She wanted to get up, but when that didn't work she switched tactics and wanted me to stay with her for a few minutes to talk. The conversation went something like:

F: "Mom, what are those sounds?"
M: "It's just the wind, and little rain."
F: "Mom, I think you have a cold." She reaches up to feel my forehead, and then kisses it to test for a temperature (my standard solution to not wanting to trot downstairs in the middle of the night to find a thermometer).
F: "Yup. Mommy, you definitely have a cold."
M: "I don't think so."
F: "Why do I get like this?"
M: "Like what?"
F: "So scared that I want to be with you all the time." Big hug. (A good strategy to avoid me leaving...dial up the love.)
F: "Is this storm in Florida?"
M: "No. Florida is pretty far away and they don't have the same weather that we do. It's warmer there."
F: "Charlotte and Laaaaaura. Chinese. It's a long drive to Chinese."
M: "You mean China."
F: Laughter. "China. China is your privates." (Why does every conversation lead to body parts?)
M: "No China is a country. Vagina is part of your body."
F: Laughter. "Vagina. Vagina. Vagina is your privates."
M: "Time to go to sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment