Everything in our yard has gone crazy with growth this year. The grass is lush, the bushes have fingers of light green, new-growth branches sprouting from every angle, and even the annuals we planted (which I notoriously kill), have many, many blossoms. The weather has been perfect for growing - warm and rainy just when we need it.
But the plant that always makes me happiest to see every year is my Rose of Sharon. It's a gorgeous pink color that blooms at the beginning of August, just when, in a normal year, everything else is browning off.

I especially love the Rose of Sharon because it reminds me of my maternal Grandmother. She had a huge bush growing outside her house. I tried in vain to get a transplant from this bush to grow at our old house, with no luck. We're just on the edge of the climate zone that a Rose of Sharon can really thrive in, and my gardening philosophy of benign neglect didn't really help.
But, this one, which I got at a local greenhouse two years ago, is thriving in the spot next to the house. It's protected, with just enough sun and water, and blooms beautifully. And, each time I look at it I think of my grandmother.

Beautiful picture.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful sentiment.
ReplyDelete