Thursday, October 21, 2010

Calgary: Out of the comfort zone

Now that my 365 day project is done, I'm at a bit of a crossroads with the photography thing. I don't want to be forced to take a picture to a deadline for a long while yet. But, I still want to take pictures and get out of my comfort zone.

George and I went to Calgary for the weekend -- a sort of mini-working-vacation. I was helping him out at a tradeshow / seminar event. My first one. I met lots of interesting people and learned that, yes, I could wear high heels for three days straight. My feet actually felt funny when I put on my flat shoes Sunday night.

Because we were downtown Calgary, we were pretty much a short walk from everything. The Calgary Tower was across the street, and Stephen Avenue (a historic walking/shopping district) was a half block away. So, all of this made for some interesting, and different, pictures.

I posted a few of them, including the ones with snow, for my Sunday Stills project.

But, here are some extras. We  hit the Calgary Tower on Sunday night after a very tasty dinner, and a few drinks (I ordered a glass of wine, they brought me a half litre - happy days). You travel 525 feet up an elevator to get to the top of the tower. There, you can stand on a glass floor and look down at the city street below. A little freaky. Here's my self-portrait shot doing this.

My feet on the glass floor

And, just to prove George is conquering his fear of heights (or maybe had too many double caesars at supper), he did it too! (Note: He admitted after the trip that he's closer to flying to Europe...maybe even next year! I'm writing this down so I can show it to him in 6 months.)

Yes - that's George in the tower on the glass floor

But, my favourite shot from the weekend is the one I took on the way to dinner. We were walking along Stephen Avenue when I saw this man sleeping on a bench at the base of a sculpture. I took one of him from the front, but as I walked past I saw the contrast between the Indigospirit storefront and this poor guy. (And it was damn cold too.) I've always wanted to have the guts to take a picture like this (strange, I know). And I'm glad that I did it as I think it tells an interesting, if incomplete, story.

Contrasts - the street vs the mall

For more shots of Calgary...

No comments:

Post a Comment