Faith has lucked out in the tooth department. Her mouth is too small for her adult teeth to come in properly AND her teeth don't fall out very easily. She has used this to her advantage in the past by somehow scamming sympathy tooth money from her great-grandfather.
But, we have now entered into the realm of orthodontic care. So far, this has meant two separate (FREE!) visits to the orthodontist. The results so far have been a trip back to our family dentist, instructions in hand for him to pull out baby teeth. The theory is that by yanking the baby teeth, the adult teeth will pop in, and her mouth will continue to grow, so eventually she'll have room for all the adult teeth with no braces. I am suspicious though, since the orthodontist gave us a tour of her office the first time we visited, specifically showing Faith the "cool" colors of braces available.
So far, the teeth pulling venture hasn't been too bad. The teeth have been loose anyway, and generally came out fairly easily. Other than the visit where she didn't tell the dentist that the freezing wasn't working!!!! I normally sit in the room with her to make sure it's all going well and we're in and out in 15 minutes.
This time, however, she had two molars removed. Two solidly-in-the-mouth, baby molars. So, I took my seat in the room, Blake on my lap, and watched the proceedings. It started with the needle - which doesn't bother her normally, but this time they gave her some extra doses and it HURT. But the kid is so stoic, she doesn't say anything, or even move! I did however see the tear leak out the side of her eye and I just about started balling myself. So much for tough mom.
After the freezing took, Faith was completely fine. I, on the other hand, started getting a little woozy when they pulled out what looked like a giant pair of stainless steel pliers from the drawer. Yikes! But, I figured if she could do it, the least I could do is be in the room for support. But, when they started yanking on the tooth, I admit that I sort of hid my eyes behind Blake's head. It was not pretty.
But, Faith was great through the whole experience and said she didn't feel a thing. We did, however, postpone a trip to the dollar store that I had promised because she was feeling dizzy after the walk to the car, and generally headachy. Then, we got home and I had to deal with the whole mouth full of bloody gauze...again with the woozy.
I cannot believe how totally brave she was to go through this...evidenced by how big the freakin' teeth were that she got pulled! Seems that the orthodontist knew what she was talking about though, because she had the teeth out yesterday morning, and her adult teeth are already popping through.
I did, however, inform George that he would be taking her to get next set of teeth pulled.

I had my four front teeth pulled and a couple molars because my other teeth did not seem like they would have much room but they did once the baby teeth were pulled. The dentist says my teeth are as strait as you can get them. My sister however was not lucky and had horrible braces.
ReplyDeleteI really hope this is the case for Faith!
ReplyDelete