Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Stills: Old churches and graveyards

The Sunday Stills challenge this week, Old Churches & Graveyards, was a little daunting given how bloody cold it's been around here. But, we did have a nice thaw this week which meant holding a camera outside wouldn't freeze your fingers off, so thanks to good timing and my ever-present cameraphone, I was able to get a couple of shots that fit the theme...not great but they are new. :) I am however going to dig in the archives and show one from my Ireland/England trip as those countries know something about old churches and graveyards. (To see more churches and graveyards, I have a set on flickr.)

At sunset I was driving my daughter out to her horseback riding lessons, and we hit the the perfect time to stop by a church I drive by every day. The graveyard was pretty interesting in the snow...

Graveyard at sunset

But, the church windows are the best part at sunset. The windows glow with this unreal red fire as the sun shines through the church. This isn't the best picture, but it does give the idea. As you walk from one side the church to the other, the fire in the windows seems to follow you. The kids thought it was very cool.

Church windows at sunset

And, from the archives, my favourite graveyard picture from a little place called Hale, outside of Liverpool.

October 3, 2009

10 comments:

  1. The first and last shots are magically ethereal. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! The first and last look like they are from movie sets. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last shot is beautiful. All very nice and the fire in the windows is enchantinig...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent...the last shot is my fav...the clouds and lighting really set the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, I especially liked the red church windows

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first shot is breathtaking! I love the effect of the clouds on the stones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent shots, the last one is fantastic..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots! I really like the effects on the last one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that last shot..so many headstones. Lots of history there:)

    ReplyDelete