Monday, April 02, 2007

Blake's second month

OK...so Blake is almost three months old and I'm just posting this now. Call me a bad mother. :)


To Blake:

All I can say about month two is that we both survived. OK. A bit of an exaggeration. But, I have constantly been amazed at how little sleep a human being can survive on and still function.

No, you are not the greatest sleeper...or at least you didn't start out the month that way. You liked to eat every two hours, and at night it often took almost an hour or more to get you back to sleep. So, by my calculations, that meant no sleep. (I'd do the math but mental tasks like this are just beyond me right now.)

The month itself had lots of interesting activities and milestones. The biggest one is your first smile! This happened just before March break, and the smiles have been getting more frequent and bigger every day. Smiles are your saving grace...they remind me why you're worth all the work. That and you're pretty cute too.

Other milestones include tracking objects and, cutest of all, making cooing and gooing noises. You still grunt a lot, but you're actually starting to sound more like a baby and less like a caveman. Your favourite object to follow with your eyes is your sister. Faith still adores you and is always hugging, kissing, and generally mauling you. I wonder if this will continue when you start pulling the heads off her Barbies? She even sings you made-up songs and whispers in your ear, "I'll always love you baby brother." I can only hope you both remember this when you're older and getting on each other's last nerves.

Big events this month included your first overnight trip. Actually it was supposed to be a trip to see Gramma and Grampa over March break, but it ended up being the week before at Karen and Rob's house. We got stuck in Waterloo due to a huge snowstorm/windstorm. I tried to get home, but the road was packed with cars, and we could hardly see. At one point I pulled over into the parking lot of the Sikh temple to feed you, then we got back on the road, only to come to a dead stop for about 20 minutes with no end in sight. So, I turned around and headed back to Karen and Rob's house. Faith was very happy to have a sleepover at Cordelia's, and you and I stayed on the pull-out couch in the basement. What an adventure.

We did go to Gramma and Grampa's the next week for a few days to meet your great-grandparents, great aunt, and some of my friends. After our dry run the week before, this trip was easy. You like to sleep in the car. :)


You also went to church with us for the first time this month...now that you're past your due date, we're bringing you a little more. Happily, you were angelic and slept through the whole thing.

And, now that the weather is nicer, we've all been getting out for walks. You even got a little sunburn on your face (sorry!) one day from riding in the sling. I'll do better on this next time.

Month two has been all about eating, sleeping (sometimes) and growing. You're even outgrowing your little round plastic bowl that I use for your baths. I sit you in it now and you look like a little buddha baby with all the little rolls of fat growing on your legs, arms and belly.

I can only imagine how big you would have been had you been born on your due date, March 3rd. Having a preemie does have some advantages! And the best part is that we got to know you that much sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment