Monday, July 05, 2010

The long weekend

I took an extra long weekend -- Thursday to Sunday -- so we had time to do some fun family stuff. And, we even got to sleep in a couple of times (as in slept past 6:30 am).

Canada Day itself was very low key, which is my ideal. The next day, however, I decided that it was time to make a little bit of history and take Blake to the movies for the first time. I'd avoided this until now because, although he does enjoy movies, he's also one active kid. I was a little worried I'd have to chase him around the theatre.

July 2, 2010

We decided to make it a first for all of us and went to see a 3D movie, Toy Story 3. I splurged for kiddie snacks for the kids, and adult snacks for me, so the whole thing cost us the GDP of a small country, but it turned out to be totally worth it. Blake sat up on a booster seat with his popcorn and drink tray on his lap, and his 3D glasses on his nose, looking completely like a grown-up little guy. The movie started late, which worked out well for strategic washroom breaks, AND we got free passes to another movie. Worth the extra 15 minutes.

When the previews came on, all in 3D, Faith leaned over and said, "This is COOL." I leaned over a few minutes later and said, "This is VERY cool." Blake said nothing the whole time, except for laughing. Toy Story 3 was probably the best of the bunch, and had a three-hankie ending (adults only, kids thought it was fun). As soon as the credits rolled, however, Blake was done. Cute extras in the credits? Who cares!

That was our Friday afternoon. Saturday afternoon was another adventure, this time with my brother and his family. They have a new camper and were on their inaugural voyage. The kids played at the beach, and generally ran around like shiny, happy people.

Beach bums

For supper, we had the traditional cookout of burgers and hotdogs, with marshmallows for dessert. Faith was in charge of marshmallow production - burned or brown. I think we went through about 40 of them. Crunchy, soft, warm, gooey, goodness.

Toasting marshmallows

Jordyn didn't get to eat marshmallows, but I think she was drooling just at the smell.

Drooly smile

We ended the evening with fireworks over the lake. Quite the show actually, for a small campground. It was these two guys out on a raft in the middle of the lake lighting up the fireworks. A little too close to explosives for me....and we did see them jump out of the way a few times when some of they exploded a little too soon.

July 3, 2010

We rolled the kids into the car at 11:00 and headed out, two kids passed out in the back, and the soothing tones of the GPS guiding us back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment