I saw a couple of people with Canadian flag lawn chairs set up at 6:30 am this morning, but most people showed up closer to 10:30 to wait for her arrival. It was quite the production number, involving helicopters, motorcycles, SUVs, limos, horses, and the poor dude who got stuck on the roof, dressed in black and on the lookout with his binoculars. (More pictures on my photostream.)
I just saw her off in the distance walking to her limo (in a full hat, coat, and dress, in 40 degree C weather!), but I did get a good spot to see her driving out of the parking lot, with the customary wave. In this shot, you can see her and Prince Philip waving...at me, right?
And another one....my favourite actually.
I wasn't too excited about seeing the queen until it actually happened. Then, the atmosphere around the office, and around the RIM building was festive. I even met up with a former co-worker as we caught up along the fence line and waited for Her Majesty.
I'd say it was once in a lifetime, but my grandparents actually took me to see the Queen when I was a kid. I remember waiting a very looong time to see this woman ride by in a car, waving. A little deja vu today, but with a 20 minute wait instead. It was a spectacle that was fun to be part of. And, it was just next door.



No comments:
Post a Comment