I took this the day got home from England. I wrote about the Amelia doll in an earlier post, but I'm writing down the more complete history for posterity.
Amelia Rhodes, Faith's great-great-great grandmother, gave this doll to her niece, Margaret, in 1897 as a birthday present. The doll is handmade of kid leather by a young woman in a spinal carriage, which kept her lying prone. The doll has all of her original underclothes (and there are many), edged with hairpin lace. Yes, this means it was made with a hairpin.
Margaret gave the doll to her sister Hilda Cantrell in about 1902 for Hilda's 3rd birthday. Cynthia, Hilda's daughter, inherited the doll. And, while we were staying with her, Cynthia passed Amelia along to my daughter.
Amelia is in amazingly good shape for her age. She has a new dress and a whole new head of hair courtesy of the local Doll Hospital, but the rest of her is 111 years old.
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment