After homemade scones and jam (and another full Irish) breakfast, we headed out to Midleton to the Jameson Whiskey Distillery for the tour. I've never been a whiskey/scotch drinker, although George has so I figured it would be interesting, plus a good opportunity to pick up some nice Irish whiskey. We were on a very small tour of about 14 people, and at the end they asked for 8 volunteers to be Irish Whiskey Tasters. So, I figured what the heck? When in Ireland.... I also volunteered Aunt Marg for the experience.
The eight of us got three shots of whisky -- a Jameson, a scotch, and JD from the States. To my total surprise, I actually liked the Jameson...which we had learned through the tour was triple-distilled. The Scotch was OK...but I wasn't as fond of the smokey, peaty taste, and the JD was undrinkable for me. After the tasting, we got a full shot of Jameson, which I drank, although I realized that I have to put water in it to drink it (I know...George is absolutely cringing right now). So, I walked out of the distillery with a nice certificate saying that I was an official Irish whiskey taster, and a slight wobble in my walk.
Mom had to drive the car to the next stop, which was the Rock of Cashel, while I sobered up. We weren't sure what to expect, but knew it was a must-see site. When we came round the bend in the road, it was absolutely stunning to see the old stone church on top of the rock overlooking the vista below. It's hard to describe the kind of impact it had, but all of us exclaimed when we saw it. When we got to the rock, we were just in time for a tour with Mary from Tipperary. This was hands-down the best tour guide we encountered on the trip (and we had some good ones). She was full of facts, figures, tales...it was unbelievable and completely engrossing. Luckily, we hit the rock at the right time, as the next week a good portion of it is going to be under scaffolding for a huge preservation project.
After Cashel, we headed back to Cahir to stay overnight in an inn with the friendliest host! We decided to go for Italian fare that night...you can only eat so much pub food...and were introduced to Hawaiian pizza with sweet corn! Strange indeed, but it tasted pretty good. Cahir also had a nice castle, but we skipped that one to head off to Waterford the next day.
To be honest, Waterford was the only disappointment we had on the trip. They no longer have a tour, so it's just a big building with lots of nice crystal on display, and a big shop where you can buy glasses, etc. As none of us were in the market for crystal, it was a waste.
We had some lunch and headed on to Kildare where we arrived in time for supper after grabbing the cleanest B&B we stayed in, with the sternest host we had. She did, however, recommend The Silken Thomas for supper. It was our best meal of the trip with what Mom and Margaret described as the best roast beef they'd ever had. I remember it as a place with a fantastic Pinot Noir from New Zealand, and yet another fast-talking Irish waiter -- friendly but hard to understand.
We called to say Happy Birthday to Duncan, and then went back to the B&B to collapse for the night.

No comments:
Post a Comment